Friday, January 3, 2014

The Journey Begins...

Written: January 2, 2014

And I’m off! 

First of all, I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and a great New Years Eve.  I know I did!  Over Christmas, I spent a week at home in Connecticut with my family and friends, filling up on delicious home cooked meals and maybe a glass of wine or two. ;) 

After that, I flew back to Madison, to spend a few last days in town with Dave.  It was nice spending nights in, just cuddling up since we’re not going to be able to see each other for 4 months.  Since we moved in together, we’ve spent almost every day together for the past 2.5 years.  It’ll be a strange adjustment not to come home to him every night, but it’s only for 4 months and it’ll fly by.  Nonetheless, good-byes are never easy.

For New Years Eve, we drove down to his brother and sister-in-law’s in Illinois.  They were so kind and thoughtful and threw a Hawaiian themed New Years/Good-Bye party with Hawaiian pizza and all!  The spread was incredible and the entire house was decorated.  Ringing in the New Year with Dave and his family was a blast and if you guys are reading this, I really appreciate everything you did!  The mid-night champagne was popped and kisses were had.  Time to bring on 2014!  It’s going to be a good year.

On New Years day we went to Dave’s sister and brother-in-law’s house for a family feast and gathering.  Again – the food! So delicious and the company was fun as always.  Dave brought me to the airport this morning amidst a near-blizzard.  Did I expect a pleasant, sunny day for my departure to Hawaii?  Well, I guess I was hoping.  Instead, I was sent off with this:



Now…now I am on my way to Maui.  Finally, getting a career started in something I have a deep passion.  I am incredibly excited about this opportunity.  It’s not easy to find an internship relating to marine science when you’re not in school and/or don’t have a science degree.  I could not have passed this up.  I know I definitely couldn’t have done this without the help, support and endless encouragement from Dave and my family.  Thank you‼ 

While I’m in Maui, I’ll eventually be living in a house a few blocks from the beach in Kihei.  Can’t complain there!  A couple of the other interns and I will be living together.  And get this, there are 3 dogs that we can play with whenever we’d like.  Bonus!  The only downfall to the house is that we cannot move in until January 7th.  So for the first week, I’ll be staying in a hostel in Lahaina. 

Lahaina is where our research vessels are located and our office is located in Ma’alaea Harbor.  My first day of work is January 4th.  Once I get a few days of work under my belt, I’ll update you on what exactly I’ll be doing.  I do, however, have my first Island Rhythms Sunset Cruise booked for Saturday.  Pictures to come! ;)  These cruises are run by PWF and all profit goes towards our research.  This is the first of the season of the kind, so it will be a great opportunity to get to know my fellow co-workers.

I apologize if I am rambling but it’s a long flight and I still have 3 hours to go.  I’ll leave you with this Maui sunset.  Aloha!


2 comments:

  1. FYI.....SUPER JEALOUS!!!!! Also, we are not just Dave's family...you are family!!!! Love you!!! Enjoy this incredible journey to the fullest!!!!

    ReplyDelete