Sunday, January 5, 2014

Work Hard, Play Hard

To start, I must tell you that since I signed my agreement with PWF now, there is a limit to what I can say/post so don't expect whale pictures anytime soon (hence the 'disclaimer' at the end).  But today was my first day of work for PWF.  It was an office day so I learned the ropes of analyzing and processing the data from our whale watches and research outings.  It was actually pretty exciting because while working on my GIS certificate, I worked mostly with data that was already produced but with this I'll actually be creating the data.  It was a lot to take in and a lot to remember but eventually I'll pick it up.  My lovely boss even bought lunch for us at PWF's restaurant across the way.  The restaurant is called Porto and all the proceeds from it go towards research (it was delicious, by the way)!

After work, I went on an Island Rhythms Sunset Reggae Cruise.  This was put on by PWF and is open to the public, too.  This was the first of the season so a big portion of the crowd was PWF employees.  It was a great opportunity to meet some of the naturalists and other employees I might not have much contact with.  It was incredible fun and a beautiful way to start my time at PWF.  It was also a great way for most of the interns to bond.  We definitely have a great crew!

Tomorrow, I'll start in the office and learn how to directly download the data collected from the day prior and then will go out on a boat to do some research.

Sorry for the short post but I'm exhausted.  :)  Quick updates might be all you get to start.

Aloha!







DISCLAIMER: My views are personal and do not represent the views of Pacific Whale Foundation or any person or entity affiliated with Pacific Whale Foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment