Since I arrived at the hostel late last night, I didn't have any food here, yet so I found a coffee shop just up the road a bit. It was between this place or Starbucks. Ha. It was all local DELICIOUS coffee and the outdoor seating over looked the beautiful mountains. Not a bad way to start the day.
After that, I needed to set my sore eyes on the ocean. The hostel has a pretty nice location and is only about 3-blocks from the water. I walked around downtown, found the grocery store, liquor store and the Lahaina PWF store location and boat location. All the important places. After spending about $8.99 on a box of five granola bars, I realized how expensive Maui really is. Yikes!
I settled on the beach and watched all the local and tourist surfers out on the waves. The difference is extreme. Surf wasn't great so it was mostly tourists.
As I was watching them, I saw a big splash in the distance and I thought....did I really just see that?! Then I saw a beautiful whale breach! It was incredible to see. I actually laughed out loud. I got some strange looks but I was just so excited I couldn't contain myself. I cannot believe I get to be out on a boat tracking them, watching them, hearing them 4-5 days a week! Yippie!
I met up with two other interns, who are staying elsewhere, for a beer. It was nice to finally meet them, after talking via Facebook for about 2 months now. They're from the UK and seem really nice. I think we'll get along just fine! They will also be my house-mates when we move into our house. I'm pretty sure we're all SCUBA certified so we'll be diving together too!
I start work tomorrow and I'll be on our smaller research vessel called the Ocean Protector (OP)! Hopefully. That depends on the weather. Otherwise, I'll be in the office learning those ropes. Either way, I am eagerly waiting to get started! Stay tuned!
This is really interesting Lynne. Congrats on finding work that you love, and traveling out on your own to do it! Great blog!
ReplyDeleteThanks Shannon and thanks for reading! Stay tuned!
ReplyDelete